An interview with Susannah Fairley of FAIRLEY jewellery
We talk to FAIRLEY jewellery designer and founder, Susannah Fairley about inspiration, celebrity pals, travel and summer essentials.
1. What inspired you to get into the jewellery business?
From a young age I always wanted to be involved in the creation of beautiful fashion and accessories . I think I probably made 500 daisy necklaces, tiaras and bracelets while living on our family farm in Rochester. On my travels as a child I loved to collect interesting pieces that caught my eye from shells at the beach to old coins found in our local tip in the country. I had been working on FAIRLEY for a number of years part-time and on weekends whilst working for other organisations and I stopped working at the end of 2012 to launch FAIRLEY on a full time basis.
2. How do you describe your style?
FAIRLEY is luxe bohemian jewellery that is priced at an affordable level using the best materials without compromise on quality. I love designing distinctive pieces by combining the beauty of semi and semi-precious stones, the history of ancient coins and artefacts and the elegant simplicity of gold and silver and using various techniques to give the jewellery its distinct textures. I am definitely conscious of trends in the fashion world however am not driven by them. I love chic simple classic pieces that are timeless and this strongly influence the design process when doing new ranges for FAIRLEY.
3. So all of us at ECO D. are a little start struck by your Instagram account! You’ve got pics with some big names including Gigi Hadid, Ellen Degeneres and Olivia Wilde just to name a few! How do you find yourself mixing with these mega stars?
Instagram has certainly been a fantastic vehicle to showcase our range and we love posting photos of people wearing our jewellery. Our celebrity clientele has certainly grown very quickly. Some have reached out to me on social media, some have commented on our jewellery when wearing it and others I have approached both in Australia and overseas. Whilst every situation is different, the one constant is that no one will wear your jewellery unless they love it whether they are a celebrity or not! We are excited when we see anyone wearing FAIRLEY, whether it be international celebritiers like Gigi Hadid, Olivia Wilde, Selena Gomez, Megan Gale or anyone just walking down the street or at dinner. Just a couple of weeks ago I met Kris and Kylie Jenner at a hotel in La Jolla, we struck up a conversation and they were really excited to receive our new season Scripture bracelets.
4. Aside from the above, if you could bejewel anyone/have them as a brand ambassador, who would it be and why?
There are so many amazing glamorous and stylish women in the world but if I was to name one it would be Angelina Jolie. She is so chic and has a natural beauty. She puts herself together beautifully but in an effortless way. When designing I aways keep in mind that the jewellery should be an extension of yourself, something you feel comfortable in and I can imagine Angelina in a number of FAIRLEY designs.
5. I understand that you draw a lot of your inspiration from your travels. Do you have a favourite spot?
I don’t really have a favourite spot but draw inspiration from everywhere I travel. Recent trips to Mexico, Thailand, Fiji have certainly influenced some of my recent designs and campaigns. Other than travel to exotic locations, I draw a great deal of inspiration from my stone sourcing trips, where I will sometimes design a whole collection around a new stone that I discovered on my travels.
6. What influences can we expect to see in upcoming collections?
The AW2015 collection is all about using lush creamy textured finishes with beautiful milky coloured stones such as aquamarine, aventurine, and sapphires and some classics such as black diamond and ruby. I have bought in some more finer pieces to create a layering effect and have experimented with some new ancient jewellery-making techniques to recreate an ancient look.
7. Coming in to Summer, tell us your top 5 Summer essentials?
1. An amazing pair of emerald green cateye sunglasses from Thierry Lasry
2. Oprah Winfrey’s new book “What I Know For Sure"
3. FAIRLEY Samara Sapphire Stackable rings - the pastel colours go back with any summer outfit
4. Slim Secrets protein bars (Snack Attack is my favourite) are great for on the go or days at the beach
5. La Prairie SPF30 is a summer must to protect you skin
22.01.15 | Ecod Shop | News